Technology has a way of transforming how we live.
The automobile changed how people traveled. Personal computers made it possible for people to do things they never thought would have been possible at home. Smartphones give us the ability to access information in the palm of our hands.
In dentistry, dental implants have made a similar kind of impact for people who are missing teeth. Thanks to implants, you can get teeth replacements that are practically as good as natural teeth.
You can this service at Smiles of Orland Park, IL. Call 708-858-9591 to schedule a consultation.
How Implants Help
The first modern implants were developed and placed in the 1960s. The person who received them had them the rest of his life — and he lived more than 40 years after his procedure.
These are known as root-form implants, and like the roots of teeth, they are placed directly in your jawbone. This allows the implant to serve as an anchor for restorations, be they crowns, bridges, or dentures.
Having that direct connection to your jawbone is important from a functional standpoint. This allows you to put more power into every bite. For practical considerations, implant-supported teeth replacements allow you to bite and chew as well as someone with all their natural teeth.
This helps in other ways as well. If you are missing one or a few teeth. Your implants help fill the gaps in your smile. This can stop the drifting that can occur without teeth replacements. And that kind of drifting is just one reason you could face additional oral health issues.
Bone loss is a real concern anytime you lose teeth as well. Without teeth, your roots don’t stimulate your jawbone. That stimulation is necessary to create new bone tissue. With implants, your jawbone will continue making new tissue. With traditional bridges or dentures, you lack that kind of stimulation, which is why bone loss can still occur.
Know Your Options
We are glad we can provide implants for our patients who are missing teeth. Just as important, we are glad we can provide implant options:
- Single implant crown — For patients missing one tooth, you can fill the gap in your smile without touching health teeth.
- Implant-supported bridge — This is more stable and secure than a traditional bridge.
- Implant-support or implant-retained dentures — The difference between these is how they secure your dentures. Both can restore nearly the full power of your bite.
- All-on-4® and All-on-6® — This is a strategic approach to placing implants that allow you to get fewer implants to hold your replacement teeth in place.
- Mini implants — For patients who don’t have enough bone to support standard implants, mini dental implants can provide the same benefits.
Restore Your Quality of Life
Many people don’t appreciate how much their teeth affect their lives until those teeth are gone. By getting dental implants, you can restore your confidence in your smile and your ability to eat and speak naturally. Learn more during your consultation at Smiles of Orland Park. Call 708-858-9591 or contact us online.